Our nearest hospital was only about ten minutes away so we took her there. They ran some standard tests: CT, bloodwork, etc. They could not find anything wrong. They decided to transfer her to Dayton Children’s to try and get her under the care of pediatric specialists. It was a Sunday evening so it took some time to get the transport. We arrived at Dayton Children’s around dinner time and they admitted her to the PICU almost immediately. Needless to say, the attending physicians were not there. This meant that she did not receive any form of specialized care until the next morning.
During that first night, her lungs started to collapse due to the lack of muscle control. The attending physicians actually arrived early that Monday morning because they were aware of her case. Almost immediately, they started her on steroids. They also had to intubate her and get her on a ventilator. Within a couple of hours, they had a working diagnosis of Transverse Myelitis, hence the reason for starting the steroids. This was the moment when reality started to smack us in the face that our little girl was terribly ill. They performed an MRI on her later that day after they got her stabilized, which confirmed the TM. They also started discussing with us some of the treatment options that they researched on TM. And so, our lives just took a MAJOR twist. A new journey had begun.